CEIS-N, has adopted the natural process of decomposition of organic (bio-degradable) waste that yields manure or compost, which is very rich in nutrients. Composting is a biological process in which micro-organisms, mainly fungi and bacteria, convert degradable organic waste into humus like substance. This finished product, which looks like soil, is high in carbon and nitrogen and is an excellent medium for growing plants.
The process of composting ensures the waste that is produced in the kitchens is not carelessly thrown and left to rot. It recycles the nutrients and returns them to the soil as nutrients. Apart from being clean, cheap, and safe, composting can significantly reduce the amount of disposable garbage.
The organic fertilizer can be used instead of chemical fertilizers and is better specially when used for vegetables. It increases the soil's ability to hold water and makes the soil easier to cultivate. It helped the soil retain more of the plant nutrients.
Benefits of Compost
- It supplies part of the 16 essential elements needed by the plants.
- It helps reduce the adverse effects of excessive alkalinity, acidity, or the excessive use of chemical fertilizer.
- It makes soil easier to cultivate.
- It helps keep the soil cool in summer and warm in winter.
- It aids in preventing soil erosion by keeping the soil covered.
- It helps in controlling the growth of weeds in the garden.